The town of Sedgwick was incorporated in 1798 and named after Major General Robert Sedgwick who ousted the French from neighboring Castine. Early settlers found the land more suitable to grazing, quarrying and logging, due to the long, rocky ridge that runs between the Bagaduce river and Salt Pond. Today, blueberry barrens dot the landscape, offering scenic views. Sedgwick is home to what is arguably one of the most photographed views in the state of Maine. Caterpillar Hill affords a sweeping vista across blueberry fields to Penobscot Bay and Camden in the west, south to Isle au Haut, and east to Jericho Bay.
The town’s coastline stretches along the shores of the Eggemoggin Reach, separating the Peninsula from Deer Isle. The mouth of the Benjamin River offers sailors and boaters a quiet cove. Sargentville, the unincorporated village in Sedgwick, is the gateway to Deer Isle.
Sedgwick and Sargentville are home to several Blue Hill Heritage Trust Trails along the scenic Bagaduce River, artist studios, and local businesses like dining favorites El El Frijoles Mexican restaurant.