Website Northern Light Health
Northern Light Health
Launch your healthcare career as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)! Are you interested in making a difference in direct patient care? Consider training to become a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) at Northern Light Maine Coast Hospital in partnership with Mid-Maine Regional Adult Community Education (MMRACE). If you are accepted into the program, you will be a full-time employee while earning your CNA certificate!
The next program starts on May 15, 2023
Application deadline is April 7, 2023
About the program:
– Approximately 8 weeks – class/lab/clinical – 2-3 days per week (16-24 hours per week). Students would work 12-24 hours as a Patient Experience Aide on a nursing unit on other non-class days. Combination of training and Patient Experience Aide work time would be full-time status.
– Didactic (lecture) portion of class taught via Zoom at Maine Coast Hospital (with the exception of the first day of class on 5/17/23. Students will go to Kennebec Valley Community College in Fairfield to meet instructor, get books, etc.)
– Clinicals and labs would be completed at Northern Light Maine Coast Hospital.
– This program is in collaboration with Mid-Maine Adult Community Education (Waterville) and funded with support from KVCC and Maine Quality Centers.
– Students will receive a Super Shoes voucher closer to hire date to help purchase nursing attire
– There are many benefits to this program! As a full-time employee you would be eligible for all the Northern Light Health benefit offerings including, medical, dental, vision insurance, retirement savings, paid time off, wellness programs, and more!
– 18 years of age or older high school graduate or equivalent from a state-sanction program
– Maine resident
– Some travel to the greater Waterville area required for first class, study day, state exam date
– Participate in an interview
– Pass pre-employment background check
– Pass the CASAS Assessment for the program
– Willing to work as a patient experience aide while training
-Commit to working for Northern Light Maine Blue Hill Hospital in a full-time CNA position for one year post training.
– If an internal employee, you must be in good standing
About the Patient Experience Aide Role:
The Patient Experience Aide role is a position providing support to the patient care team by providing constant observation, monitoring, feeding assistance. Feeding assistance will include cutting food, unwrapping food, and maintaining cleanliness throughout the course of patient meal. Patient’s mouth will be checked before offering more food or fluids, and returning food tray back to cart when patient is finished. Mobility assistance of assigned patients is used to ensure safety and prevention of injury. Ambulation will include the use of assistive devices (walker, cane) if needed, understanding that walking distance and speed is determined by patient tolerance. Responsible for one on one direct, continuous observation for the purpose of injury prevention of patients who might be at high risk. Under the supervision of the Registered Nurse and in accordance with the department policies and procedures, responsible for keeping patient in his/her line of vision at all times, and working with others in the healthcare team to assure prompt intervention to prevent physical harm to patients ensuring optimal patient safety and patient comfort. This position is responsible for performing secretarial and reception support, cleaning assigned areas of the hospital, as well as assisting in achieving the ideal experience for all patients.
• Essential duties of this role require time spent sitting or walking, mobilizing patient by patient transfer, ambulation and mobility while working independently, as part of a pair, and/or part of a team of healthcare providers. Answers the telephone and take messages, screens, and/or forwards calls appropriately with efficiency, tact, and courtesy.
• Feeding patients in need of assistance including setting up tray, unwrap and open food, and preparing food for patient consumption.
• Closely observing a patient, documenting, and collaborating with other health care staff members for an assigned shift. T
• The employee must possess the core competencies of self-management, collaboration, initiative flexibility and motivation, i.e. staff must be willing to accept changes in assignment as needed.
• Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
• Performs other duties and/or responsibilities as assigned. Documents activity, feeding and observations while observing patients.
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one’s behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Potential exposure to abusive and/or aggressive people.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
* Extend body and limbs to reach items.
* Prolonged periods of sitting.
* Prolonged periods of standing.
* Prolonged periods of walking.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org