Website Nichols Day Camps
Job Title: 2022 Summer Day Camp Director
General Function: Work with BHSAC Trustees to plan, develop and administer the Summer Camp program.
Ensure the safety, well-being and personal growth of staff and campers. Responsible for overall Summer Camp operations: tone-setting, communication, behavior management, scheduling, quality of activities, staff evaluations and transportation coordination. The Summer Day Camp Director must demonstrate positive, professional role modeling at all times, acting in a manner that is consistent with the staff code of conduct and the philosophy, goals and objectives of the BHSAC, Inc.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Support Staff
a. Praise staff frequently with specific examples of their actions and words
b. Help staff replace undesired behavior with positive choices
c. Connect with each staff member and maintain a positive relationship throughout the summer
d. Help staff grow as people and as counselors
e. Be supportive when staff deals with challenging situations
f. Follow through with staff requests and commitments that you make
2. Build Relationships with Day Camp Parents
a. Communicate regularly with Day Camp parents about their child’s behavior, successes and challenges.
b. Keep parents informed of any changes in the Day Camp program or schedule
c. Return parent phone calls in a timely manner
d. Keep the BHSAC, Inc. Trustees informed of any parent concerns or situations that need further attention
e. Find fun and creative ways to create stronger relationships with Day Camp parents
3. Leadership Team Responsibilities
a. Demonstrate professional role modeling at all times
b. Work to establish and maintain positive relationships with all Leadership Team members throughout the summer.
c. Communicate regularly with trustees of BHSAC, Inc.
d. Ask for help when needed
e. Fulfill Leadership Team duties with a positive attitude and willingness to help
Other Job Duties:
- Provide supervision for campers while campers are transported to and from camp or during scheduled field trips off camp property
- Contribute to verbal and written evaluations and communication as requested 1 time at end of season
- Identify other tasks or duties that this position may be expected to perform but are not necessarily the primary focus of this position
- Must have at least two years of college education or school age child development experience
- Must be able to obtain or become certified in First Aid/CPR-ACA/YMCA Certification
- 2 years of camping experience or combination of youth program and supervisory experience
- Ability to design and implement recreational programming and interact with children and adults of all ages
- Ability to perform multiple tasks concurrently
- Previous experience in peer leadership, supervision and staff management
- Must pass a criminal background check prior to employment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of the development needs of youth
- Ability to relate to youth and adults (e.g. parents and co-workers) in a positive manner
- Demonstrate basic level knowledge and skill in designated camp program areas
Physical Aspects of the Job:
Some physical requirements of this position could be endurance including prolonged standing, some bending, walking long distances, hiking, climbing and stretching: requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate outdoor equipment and camp activities; requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.; willing to work in a day camp setting and work irregular hours with limited or simple equipment and facilities; and with daily exposure to the elements (sun, wind, rain).
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com